||Nearest CPW Office:|
||Grand Junction Office|
|P.O. Box 57, Glade Park, CO 81505
||711 Independent Ave., Grand Junction, CO 81501|
Location: Ranch is located 25 miles west of Grand Junction south and west of Glade Park. Piñon Mesa Ranching for Wildlife association is comprised of 2 ranches.
Piñon Mesa West map
Area Maps: USGS Quads: Payne Wash, Fish Creek, Two V Basin, Sieber Canyon, Bieser Creek
National Forest: Grand Mesa NF
BLM: Grand Junction
Species Available: Elk, Deer
Terrain and Access: Piñon Mesa is a high elevation mesa located west of the Colorado National Monument. Access to the ranch is through the Monument and west or south of the Glade Park Store. The terrain is relatively gentle with slopes of 20 to 30 degrees with occasional steep canyons with vertical walls. The vegetation varies from spruce-fir/ponderosa timber mixed with aspen groves, oakbrush and sagebrush flats. Normal ranch roads or County roads provide access to most major areas of the ranch. One section of Mt. Island ranch does not allow any vehicles.
Average Success Rates: Please see Participating Ranches.
Motels are located in Grand Junction and Fruita. Camping is available south of Glade Park at Forest Service Campgrounds.
All gates will open at 8:00 a.m. on the 1st day of each hunt and close the last day of each hunt. Gates will open at 6:15 a.m. the following days. When the harvest limit is reached the gate will be closed. You will be asked to fill out a questionnaire after your successful hunt.
1. All hunters must check in at the entrance gate before hunting. All hunters must check out at the same gate at the end of each hunting day. Area entrance/exit gates will be unlocked for one half hour before sunrise to one and one half hours after sunset or written instructions will be at the gate.
2. In order to assist in game handling, each hunter may be accompanied by only one non-hunting companion of legal age.
3. Camping or overnight use of the property is not allowed to minimize confusion and reduce noise in the hunting areas.
4. Camp fires are prohibited due to extremely dry conditions.
5. All vehicles must stay on existing roads. Certain roads or trails may be closed to
vehicles, please observe the signs. ATV’s are allowed for game retrieval only.
6. Please do not litter.
7. Target shooting is not permitted; it scares the game out of the country.
8. No firewood cutting or gathering is permitted.
9. Our lakes and streams are privately stocked and fishing is not allowed.
10. Dogs are not allowed.
11. Due to liability concerns by the landowners involved, hunting by horseback is prohibited.
12. Certain areas may be excluded from hunting access for safety reasons, such as around buildings and livestock.
13. Regular season hunting licenses will not be valid on the Piñon Mesa West properties. Only Piñon Mesa West permits are valid. The only species to be hunted will be ELK or DEER. You may expect to see and be seen by the Game Warden, who will check your licenses.
14. Alcohol is not permitted. Smoking is only allowed in your vehicle.
15. Each hunter will be issued a wildlife area card at the check-in gate. This card must be turned in at check-out time each day.
16. Hunters and non-hunting guests must agree to accept all risk involved with hunting on Pinyon Mesa Wildlife Association lands. A Release From Liability Form holding the owners free from any liability and damages, including damages to vehicles, must be signed and returned before entering the property.
17. Violations of any of the above rules, or the State of Colorado statutes or regulations, will result in a revocation of hunting privileges on the Piñon Mesa West area.
18. Please report wounded animals to the Ranch Representative immediately. A wounded animal is considered a harvest.
Please remember that you are hunting on private property as a guest of the landowners. Please respect our property in order to preserve hunting privileges for yourself and others in the future. Both ranches have livestock operations. Please take particular care when you are around the livestock. Please leave all pasture gates as you find them.