3, 4, 301
Location: Visintainer Ranch is located approximately 18 miles north of Craig.
Visintainer East map
Visintainer West map
Area Maps: USGS Quads: Moffat County USGS 1:50,000 – sheets 3, 4
National Forest: None
BLM: BLM map
Species Available: Elk, Deer, Pronghorn
Terrain and Access: Elevations vary from 5,800 to 8,000 ft. The ranch is located in the rolling sagebrush hills that drain to the Little Snake River. Ranch roads provide adequate access to main parts of the ranch. These roads can become very muddy during wet weather. Hunters should be equipped with 4 wheel drive vehicle.
Average Success Rates: Please see Participating Ranches.
Check the Ranching for Wildlife main page for season dates.
There are no antler-point restrictions for any of the ranches. No over-the-counter licenses are offered on these properties. Ranching for Wildlife licenses are open to Colorado residents only. Licenses are only for the season and ranch on the license. For more information on season dates and application deadlines, see the Big Game Hunting Brochure.
Ranch rules from previous seasons are provided for a general perspective. Ranch rules are negotiated annually and some rule changes may take affect this year.
Ranch Hunting Rules
- Please be aware of the image you project while hunting the Visintainer Ranch, as Elkhorn Outfitters, Inc. adheres to all game and firearm laws that pertain to your hunt. All violations will be handled according to the letter of the law. Any violation will result in forfeiture of your hunt.
- Elkhorn Outfitters office location is within the Colorado Suite, Holiday Inn, 300 S. Hwy 13, Craig, CO 81625. All public hunters are required to check in at this office the first day and follow up with check out, and to report harvest success. Forms will be provided at check out. It is very important to check out after your hunt for your safety and that of others hunting on the Ranch.
- Public Check in and Check out times for Pronghorn, deer, and elk season are 7:00 am to 7:00 pm at the office location. All times begin the night before your season begins, continuing to the evening of the last day of the season.
- There will be no off road vehicle use for hunting on Visintainer Ranch. Access is by foot or horseback on the Little Bear and Little Buck properties. Parking is permitted in designated areas only. All ATV use is limited to designated roads only and permission must be granted/verified for use on the Ranch at the time of Check in.
- Public hunters will be allowed on the entire property with the following exceptions. Areas around dwellings and livestock handling facilities are closed for the safety of people and livestock. Livestock concentration areas may be closed. Hunters will be notified of these closures at the time of check in. The ranch is divided into hunting areas, with access through a designated gate or road. A maximum number of hunters will be allowed in each hunting area. Please do not hesitate to ask for assistance when hunting on the Ranch.
- No preseason scouting access is allowed. Maps are provided for general reference and are not considered a source of remote land navigation. More detailed maps are available from sporting goods stores.
- Wounded animals that cannot be recovered will not count as animals harvested. Please advise the agents of Visintainer Ranch and Elkhorn Outfitters if such an incident occurs.
- One rifle per license is allowed on the ranch, and licensed hunters may be accompanied by one non-hunting companion.
- Be aware of boundaries. On most of the ranch they are well marked, but some locations are difficult to mark boundaries. It is the duty of each hunter to know where they are at and trespassing is not tolerated.
- No camping is allowed on the Ranch, except in the designated Visintainer Ranch camping area. The camping area is a fee use site with water and electricity.
- No fires are allowed on the Ranch at any time, except in our designated camping area subject to County Fire Bans or Restrictions.
- No littering, including but not limited to trash, hides, and bones.
- All rifles must be sighted in prior to entering the ranch. Target shooting, sighting, or casual shooting is prohibited.
- Hunters must sign a liability release at the check in. A copy of the form also serves as a permit for access to the property and will be kept in the possession of the hunter at all times while on the property. The document must be produced when requested by an officer or Ranch agent.
- Maximum speed on the ranch at all times is 15 mph, no exceptions.
- No consumption of alcohol while hunting.
- Hunters must leave all gates as originally found.
- These rules plus additional information will be sent to successful applicants. Violation of these rules and/or laws of Colorado will mean revocation of hunting privileges.
Visintainer Ranch RFW is located in an area where elk are substantially over herd objective and the elk herd is migratory. The ranch is working with CPW to aggressively harvest antlerless elk to assist in achieving herd objectives. Since antlered elk do not always remain on the ranch and harvest levels off the ranch are high, the size of bulls available to hunters should not be considered "trophy" class.
Motels are located in Craig. There is a KOA Campground in Craig.
Ranch will assist with retrieval of game for a fee as possible.