3, 4, 214, 301, 441
||Nearest CPW Office:|
|36220 Hwy 13 N., Craig, CO 81625
||P.O. Box 1181, Meeker, CO 81641|
Location: Big Gulch Ranch is located about 7-10 miles north of Craig and runs east and west in six large blocks.
Big Gulch East map
Big Gulch West map
Area Maps: USGS Quads :
Moffat County USGS 1:50,000 – Sheets 3, 4
Routt County USGS 1:50,000 – Sheets 1, 3
National Forest: Routt NF
Species Available: Elk, Deer, Pronghorn
Terrain and Access: Elevations vary from 6,600 to 7,100 ft. The ranch is located in the rolling sagebrush hills that are the lower slopes of the Elkhead Mountains. Upper slopes have some pinyon juniper cover. Ranch roads provide adequate access to main parts of the ranch. These roads can become very muddy during wet weather. Hunters should be equipped with 4-wheel drive vehicles.
Average Success Rates: Please see Participating Ranches.
Check the Ranching for Wildlife main page for season dates.
There are no antler-point restrictions for any of the ranches. No over-the-counter licenses are offered on these properties. Ranching for Wildlife licenses are open to Colorado residents only. Licenses are only for the season and ranch on the license. For more information on season dates and application deadlines, see the Big Game Hunting Brochure.
Ranch Rules from previous seasons are provided for general information. Ranch Rules are negotiated annually and some changes from the following rules may take affect this year. Current ranch rules will be included in hunter information packets.
BIG GULCH RANCH
- All State hunting laws will be enforced on the ranch. CPW staff patrol this ranch almost daily and will be notified of rule violations, which could result in forfeiture of your hunt, as well as appropriate legal action being taken.
- No ATVs allowed.
- Hunting with snow machines is not allowed; however, under certain conditions they may be used for transportation or animal retrieval.
- The ranch is divided into several large hunting units. Each unit will have a limited number of hunters that will be allowed access to that unit each day.
- Units will be assigned on a first come basis. To avoid overcrowding you must hunt on the unit you are assigned for a full day. You can change tracts with approval of Ranch staff for the next days hunt.
- No pre-season scouting access is permitted.
- Each hunter may bring one guest; however, no firearm may be carried by that person.
- Each hunter is requested to make every effort to retrieve wounded animals. If you wound an animal and it leaves the ranch, contact a CPW officer or Big Gulch RFW manager to assist with retrieval. If you attempt to do so on your own and you are trespassing, there will be nothing we can do to help you.
- Camping on the Ranch is not allowed.
- No fires.
- Consumption of alcohol is not permitted on the Ranch.
- All hunters are responsible for picking up their trash.
- Please close all gates, as there are always livestock on the Ranch.
- It is mandatory that all hunters return their hunt questionnaire to the Ranch. Failure to do so will result in forfeiting your privilege to hunt next year. Questionnaires will be provided at the time you check in.
- There are road closures in certain areas. They will be marked with road closed signs and we can point them out on maps at check in. The roads will be opened at 1 pm for game retrieval.
- Check in is at the Ranch Headquarters, (5 miles north of Craig on Hwy 13, on the east side of the Hwy). Check in begins at 3 pm to 6 pm on the day before your season begins. During your hunt the Ranch Check in and out will be staffed from 7 am to 9 am and 3 pm to 5 pm. If staff is going to be gone from the Headquarters, a phone number for contact will be posted.
- The liability waiver must be signed and in the possession of the Ranch before access can be granted.
- Please respect other hunters – if you observe a violation of these rules or state laws please write down the license number and report them to the Ranch Headquarters. Two or more complaints on any person will result in loss of hunting privileges.
- Hunting should be a pleasant experience for everyone. Please follow these rules, relax, and enjoy a good time on our ranch.
Motels are located in Craig. There is a KOA Campground in Craig.
Hunter is responsible for retrieval of game.